Freitag, 28. Oktober 2016

Review: Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi (Dutton's Children Books)

This book has a heartbeat. Listen to it. Listen to the sound of FURTHERMORE!

Ferenwood is a place rich in magic and bright colors and where everything is drenched with rainlight, the magical origin of colours and the simple but overwhelming power of nature. The people of Ferenwood, all blessed with a special ability, have a symbiotic relationship with their land but somehow nobody accepts twelve-year-old Alice Alexis Queensmeadow.
She was born completely colourless. Her hair and skin are white as snow, but the strength of Alice's heart outshines the heavy loss she's been suffering since her father disappeared. Alice's familiy is left in despair and Alice has nothing left to lose. That's when a boy called Oliver tells her that he can bring her father home but that means leaving for Furthermore, a strange land where time can be stolen and every step will cause unexpected dangers. What can she do but agree? An unusually and bewitching journey begins ...

Imagine you're going to the cinema. There you are, sitting in a big room and watching pictures on a large screen. A nice feeling, right? Well, "Furthermore" by Tahereh Mafi is much better than any film, trust me. Just look at the cover - every time I look at its brightness it causes big heart eyes!

Mafi's writing style is incredible and creates an unusually fantasy scenery. I've never read a book with such a strange world and I wish I could describe the beauty and poetic atmosphere of this story. There's now way to deny it, 'Furthermore' is a masterpiece! I couldn't help grinning when I came across the chapters called "I haven't any idea how many chapters are in this book" or "This might be my favourite part"

Wait a second. Did I just say that everything about this book is okay? Well, "Furthermore" really does give you the flavour of Lewis Carroll's Wonderland, but at the very beginning I had the feeling that Mafi used a little too many metaphors. The first slow-paced chapters were quite demanding ones. Unfortunately. English isn't my first language; beside the completely new world, I sometimes had to struggle with some sentences (my dictionary got a full-time job, but, hey, it's my greatest wish to improve my English and reading books is one of the best ways to learn foreign languages!)
It's amazing how Alice changes troughout the book; she's such a strong and brave girl! I love her for being the way she is and how she fights for the people she loves. Furthermore - that's what imagination was made for! I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves modern fairy tale, Alice's and Oliver's adventure is something every reader will thoroughly enjoy :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen